Install Veeam One
Veeam One is an interesting feature that offers real-time monitoring, business documentation and management reporting. You can use Veeam One for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V. Veeam One consists of three components :
- Veeam ONE Monitor : This tool is used for monitoring your virtual environment and your Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure. The Veeam ONE Monitor console permit to manage and monitoring the data, analyze performance of your backup and virtual infrastructure components. You can also troubleshoot problems and generate reports.
- Veeam ONE Reporter : Provides a set of dashboards and report. Thus it’s possible to check a possible problem of configuration, to optimize the use of resources, … This tool can also be used to ensure that a critical virtual machine is properly protected.
- Veeam ONE Business View : Permet d’effectuer le regroupement d’objects d’infrastructure virtuelles. Ce regroupement peut s’effectuer au travers de catégories tels que SLA, BU (Business Unit, …).
Install Veeam One Architecture
Veeam ONE use a client-server architecture. The platform is composed of the following elements:
- Veeam ONE Server : Responsible for data collection on virtual servers, vCloud Director servers and Veeam Backup & Replication servers. This information is stored in a database. The Veeam ONE Monitoring Server and Veeam ONE Reporting Server components are also installed.
- Veeam ONE Web UI : Veeam ONE Web UI is a client part for Veeam ONE Reporter and Business View. It allows communication with the database. It also allows data to be processed and displayed in a web interface. The Veeam ONE Reporting Client and Veeam ONE Business View Client components are also installed.
- Veeam ONE Monitor Client : Veeam ONE Monitor Client is the client for Veeam ONE Monitoring Server. It allows communication with the Veeam ONE monitoring server. He can be installed on the same server or a remote server.
- Veeam ONE Database : The Veeam ONE database is used to store the data used by Veeam ONE. Hosted on a Microsoft SQL Server, execution can be remote or installed with other Veeam ONE components.
Licensing Veeam ONE
Veeam ONE can be licensed by VM or by socket. If licensing is chosen on a per CPU sockets, the number of licenses will vary depending on the number of CPU sockets on Microsoft VMware vSphere or Hyper-V hosts. A license is required for all occupied sockets on the motherboard. The second licensing mode will consist of one licensing per number of VMs managed. A managed VM is a virtual machine included in the scope of monitoring and reporting. and this with Veeam ONE inclusion rules. There are no restrictions imposed by the Veeam ONE license on the number of vCloud Director and Veeam Backup & Replication managed servers.
Types of Licenses
The following types of paid licenses are available:
- Perpetual License : This type of license is permanent and full licence. It has a lifespan of 10 years (start is the date of issue of the licence).
- Subscription license: This type of license is also a full license. Unlike the perpetual license, it expires at the end of the subscription period. The term of a subscription license is normally 1 to 3 years from the date the license is issued.
- Rental licence : This type of full licence has an expiry date fixed according to the rental programme chosen (1-12 months from the date of issue of the licence).
The following types of free licenses are available:
- Trial license : This license can be used for product evaluation. It offers a validity of 30 days from the time the product is downloaded. Nevertheless it offers a limited set of functionality. There are no restrictions on the number of hosts, management servers,…
- NFR license : This license must be used for demonstration or training purposes.
This type of license can not be resold or used for commercial use.
Requirements for each platforms
VMware vSphere Environment
- Platforms : VMware vSphere 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 (Veeam ONE 9.5 Update 1 for vSphere 6.5).
- Software : vCenter Server 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 (Veeam ONE 9.5 Update 1 for vSphere 6.5).
- Hosts: ESX(i) 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5 (Veeam ONE 9.5 Update 1 for ESX(i) 6.5).
- Platforms : Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016
Requirements for integration with Veeam Backup & Replication
Version Veeam Backup & Replication
- Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 Update 3
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 Update 2
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5
Editions of Veeam Backup & Replication
- Veeam Backup & Replication Standard
- Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise
- Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise Plus
Systems Requirements for Typical Deployment
- x64 Processor with minimum 4 cores
- 8 Gb of memory is a minimum, 16 Gb is recommended
- 700 MB for product installation and sufficient disk space for Microsoft SQL Server and Veeam ONE database
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
Version of SQL Server (SQL Standard or higher in production)
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2017
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox 42 or later, Chrome 54 or later
- Microsoft Office 2010, 2013 or 2016, Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Visio 2010 or 2013, 2016
- PDF viewer
Non-Supported Configurations and port used
If you install Veeam ONE components on a Domain Controller, this scenario is not supported. You Veeam ONE Server need to access the internet for update the license and send license usage statistics to the Veeam licensing server. If the firewall is activated into the Veeam ONE Server, you need allow inboud and outbound HTTPS traffic (port 443).
Port used by Veeam ONE
- Protocol:SSL, Port:443. Required to collect data from vCenter Server/ ESX(i) hosts.
- Protocol:TCP, Port:5989. Required to collect ESX(i) host hardware details.
- Protocol:TCP, Port:10080 and 10443. port used to access vCenter Inventory Service (HTTP or HTTPS) and collect vCenter Server tags. Required for vCenter Server 5.x only.
- Protocol:SSL, Port:443. Required to collect data from vCloud Director.
Hyper-V Host and Veeam Backup & Replication
- Protocol:TCP, Port:135 and port dynamically assigned. Required to collect data from Hyper-V hosts and Veeam Backup & Replicatio server through WMI.
- Protocol:TCP, Port:135 and 445. Required to gather CPU and memory performance data from Hyper-V host and Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure servers.
- Protocol:TCP, Port:445. Required to access remote registry..
Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager
- Protocol:TCP, Port:135 and port dynamically assigned. Required to collect data from Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager through WMI.
Veeam backup proxy
- Protocol:TCP, Port:135 and 445. Required to gather CPU and memory performance data from backup infrastructure servers.
Veeam License Update Server (autolk.veeam.com)
- Protocol:SSL, Port:443. Used for licence auto-update.
Veeam ONE Server and Web UI
- Protocol:TCP, Port:1433. Used for communication with Microsoft SQL Server (server where is deployed Veeam ONE database).
Veeam ONE Monitor Client
- Protocol:TCP, Port:139 and 445. Used by Veeam ONE Monitor Client to communicate with the Veeam ONE Server.
- Protocol:TCP, Port:137. Used by Veeam ONE Monitor Client to communicate with the Veeam ONE Server.
You need to enable this exceptions if your Windows Firewall has enable (on Hyper-V Host server and Veeam Backup & Replication server). It’s required for collect events data. Remote Event Log Management
- Remote Event Log Management (NPIn).
- Remote Event Log Management (RPC).
- Remote Event Log Management (RPC-EPMAP).
COM+ Network Access
- COM+ Network Access (DCOM-In) .
Install Veeam ONE
Install SQL Server
Run the SQL Server installation file to access the installation wizard. Run the SQL Server installation file to access the installation wizard. Click Install then New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
Check I accept the licence terms and click Next.
Check Database Engine Services and Reporting Services – Native. Change the path for the instance root directory.
Allow the SYSAdmin right to the desired user group or user.
Validate the next Windows and lauch intallation by install button.
Install veeam ONE Connected the Veeam ONE ISO to the server. a wizard appears, click Veeam ONE Server.
On the Licence Agrrement Windows, check I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next. Select your licence file and click Next.
Select your Deployment type (Typical or Advanced) and click Next.
The prerequisites are checked. Click Install to install the missing prerequisites.
Enter the login credentials for the service account and click Next.
select the desired sql instance then click Next.
Enter the connection information, it’s possible to select a self-signed certificate or a certificate issued by an internal certification authority.
Select your Virtual Infrastructure Type and click to Next.
Enter the credential to connect to the host. Repeat the same operation for Veam Backup & Réplication.
The choice of Data Collection Mode must be made. Three modes are possible:
- Optimized for Typical Deployment : For small to medium environments (up to 100 hosts and 1500 VMs). Veeam ONE collects all inventory, configuration and performance metrics. He make collected data available in dashboards, reports and alarms.
- Optimized for Advanced Deployment : Recommended for large environments (more than 100 hosts and 1500 VMs). Veeam ONE collects all metrics required for alarms and reports.
- Backup Data only : Recommended if you want to focus on Veeam Backup & Replication monitoring and reporting. You can choose this mode if you not need a deep visibility of the virtual infrastructure. Veeam ONE collects all inventory, configuration and performance metrics from Veeam Backup & Replication servers. Inventory and configuration metrics from virtual infrastructure servers is also collected, but skips virtual infrastructure performance metrics. Veeam ONE dashboards, reports and alarms display backup-related data only.
Click install to lauch installation. Click Finish when the installation is complete.
A message appears indicating the need to close the session. Log in again and verify that the system account for Veeam ONE is a member of the local Veeam ONE Administrators group.
Install Veeam ONE Monitor
Connected the Veeam ONE ISO to the server. a wizard appears, click Veeam ONE monitor Client. On the Licence Agrrement Windows, check I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next. Validate next Windows and lauch installation. From the Start menu, click Veeam One Monitor. A new Windows appears, click Connect.
A new window appears, click ok to start installing the required version.
A wizard appears, click Next in the welcome window.
Enter the password for the user account you are using. This account must have administrative rights on the server. Click to Install to lauch installation. When installation is finished, you need reboot your server.
Following the installation of Veeam ONE and Veeam One Monitor, three shortcuts are added on the desktop.
Double click on Veeam ONE Monitor and click on connect.
The console appear, click on Options and Server Settings.
In the SMTP Settings tab, enter configuration information (SMTP address, port, …). Below is the configuration for Office 365.
You can also configure the notification Policy. Many other configurations are possible. Future articles will complement this one