Backup Office 365
The Office platform does not allow granular recovery. A mailbox has a retention of several days, nevertheless it is not possible to restore a mail, folder, tasks, contact,…
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 can be installed on a physical or virtual machine. It is possible to implement the following features :
- Retrieving mailbox elements.
- Recovered e-mails can be saved as a file, sent as an e-mail attachment or exported as a PST file.
How it’s works ?
When the backup task is initialized, a creation of the mailbox database file and the auxiliary files are created. This creation operation is performed in the corresponding subfolder (named < year_of_last_modification >) in the repository, creating a database. For this purpose, the expandable storage engine for Windows (ESE engine) is used.
Initial execution of the backup task creates a full backup of the entire mailbox contents for the selected mailboxes. All data during the working session is transferred using the backup proxy.
For subsequent runs of the backup task, synchronization has executed between the data repository structure information, mailbox data, and the current status of the Exchange organization. This is done using Web Exchange services.
Each time a job is successfully executed, a new restore point retains the corresponding status of the mailbox dataset. Thus incremental backups are performed, Veeam performs a detection of changes in the mailbox data (modification, new mailbox). This detection is performed since the last execution of the backup task thereafter, an incremental backup is performed
- Modern multi-core x64 processor, 4 cores minimum.
- 8 GB RAM minimum.
- 500 MB for product installation. Additional storage is required for backup. This will depend on the mailboxes to be backed up
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows 8.x ou Windows 7 SP1 for test not in production
Microsoft Office 365 backup, can be performed on one of the following disk storage
- Local folder
- Direct Attached Storage (DAS), connected to the backup server (external USB drive, …)
- Storage Area Network (SAN); backup server must be connected to the SAN fabric
- SMB 3.0 share
- Microsoft Exchange Online : TCP 80, 443 (Used for connection to Microsoft Exchange Online, using Exchange Web Services)
- Microsoft Exchange Online : optionally TCP 587 (If you use Exchange Online as a mail server for sending notifications)
- Microsoft Exchange Online : TCP 9191 (Open on the backup proxy server for data communication with the Veeam Backup for Office 365 server)
- Clients : TCP 9191 (Open on Veeam Backup for Office 365 management server and used for data communication between server and clients – PowerShell, …)
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange : TCP 9194 (Open on Veeam Backup for Office 365 management server data communication between solution components, as well as for Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange clients)
- Backup proxy server : TCP 9191 Open on the Veeam Backup for Office 365 management server for data communication with backup proxy.
- Backup proxy server : TCP 80, 443 (Used for connection to Microsoft Exchange Online, using Exchange Web Services)
Permission for backup
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 use Local System Account for running. Do not change the local account.
- Account used for backup Office 365 should belong to that organization.
- Account for backup Office 365 must have this right : Organizations Management role, Application Impersonation role, View – Only Configuration role, View – Only Recipients role.
Permission for restore
- To be able to connect to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 from Veeam Explorer for Exchange, user account need local administrative rights on the Veeam Backup for Office 365 Server.
- Account need Full Access on the mailbox.
Considerations and Limitation
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is a minimal supported OS Version
- It’s recommanded to use NTFS or ReFS for file systems
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 management server and backup proxy should be on the same domain or trusted domain./li>
- Management server and proxy server not using proxy for the internet connection (connection with EWS for data retrieval).
Installing Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
Download on the Veeam website Veeam Backup for Office 365 and then unzip the file. Veeam For Office365
Launch the setup file on the Server. Click Next on the windows to continue installation.
Click I accept the terms in the Licence Agreement and click Next.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 will be installed to the C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup365\ directory. Click Next to validate the path and Install to lauch installation.
Veeam for Office 365 has now been installed. Click Yes to install licence.
A new Windows appear, click Install and select licence file.
Add an organizations
For add Organization, you need to click on Add Org button.
A new Windows appear, select Microsoft Office 365 button and click to next.
Select Region and enter login and password of your Office 365 tenant. Click Next to validate.
Check if there is no error and click to Finish. Organization has now been Added.
Configure Backup Repositories
In the Veeam Backup for Office 365 console, select Backup Infrastructure and Backup Repositories.
Click to Add Repositories.
Enter the desired name and desired folder with the Browse folder.
Select your retention Policy and click Finish.
Creating backup Job
In the Veeam Backup for Office 365 console, select the previously added organization. Click Backup in the Ribbon.
Select the desired object that you to save by clicking to Add. You can save all mailbox.
Select the Data Repository and click to Next.
Configure scheduling option and select “Run the job when I click create” option for launch immediately the backup. Click Create to launch creation of the backup job.
The backup is started.
Restore a mail
In the Veeam Backup for Office 365 console, select the desired backup and Explore. Click on Explore latest state.
A Windows appears, select the desired Mailboxes. You can export mailboxes, restore mailboxes or restore the desired object (mail, calendar, …).
Enter the credential of your Office 365 Administrator. Click Ok to validate credential. the restoration is in progress.